The future for social housing is looking up.
We can help you maximise opportunities for rooftop development, social housing and urban regeneration, while reducing the impact of embodied carbon in the built environment. The images below show a 1990s block on the left and to the right, redeveloped and transformed during the process of rooftop development.
Langley is changing the roofscape of our towns and cities across the country, working closely with social and private housing providers.
The sky’s the limit
Whether we’re regenerating an estate or helping meet the challenge of housing supply, we have the specialist expertise to support roofscape capitalisation.
We provide end-to-end design and installation from conceptual design drawing and planning, through to the monitoring of the installation on site by our approved contractor partners.
Technical Design Services
Our design service covers everything from new flat-to-pitched roofs to roof-top developments over existing flat roofs and includes feasibility surveys, building control approval and a detailed specification of works.
Design considerations can be complex but our experts will ensure structural loadings, fire compartmentation, acoustics and drainage all comply with building control requirements.
Support and Guidance
Our designs are installed by accredited contractors, with each skilled on-site worker individually trained and assessed to ensure they meet our high standards. Overseeing on-site work, our experienced Technical Managers work closely with the installing contractor to ensure quality standards are met and specifications are adhered to.
All our roofing solutions come with an independently-insured guarantee covering design, materials and workmanship. This is with a UK AAA Rated insurer for twelve years from the end of the defects liability period. This ensures Council of Mortgage Lenders [CML] approval so all new rooftop development units can be mortgaged and sold on the open market.
Langley carries its own professional indemnity insurance and, subject to agreement, will also sign up to Collateral Warranties.
Identifying a ‘Goldilocks Solution’.
When assessing residential blocks, early engagement with Langley helps streamline the process and find out early on what is and isn’t feasible. Our experience can help quickly identify those may be ‘just right’ for rooftop development.
- Three or four storey (below 11m) existing flat roofed blocks, preferably with concrete roofs.
- Blocks that are in good structural condition and are of loadbearing concrete frame, steel frame or loadbearing masonry construction.
- Blocks on estates where other planned improvements or regeneration works are due to take place.
- Where there is sufficient access and egress for a site set-up, material deliveries and craneage.
- Where there is sufficient existing capacity in statutory services (water, electricity, gas, telecoms, drainage) to service new RTDs without the need for new services to be brought into the estate.
- Blocks with flat roofs requiring minimal enabling works, such as telecoms masts, lift motor rooms requiring relocation, satellite dishes and arrays of photovoltaic panels.
- Blocks unencumbered by top floor lease holders, restrictive covenants or party wall awards.
“About 20% of our development pipeline is through Rooftop Development. Our assessment focused not only on who had experience of RTDs, but also how they’ve done it. Using Langley’s experience during feasibility has been invaluable.”
Development Manager, Islington Council
Innovative vertical build increases living space by 22%. Built in Hertford in the 1990s, Network Homes’ Colebrook Court provided 14 one-bed flats to the area for years, but local population growth prompted a need for larger, affordable family homes to deliver greater value to residents.